This post is all about proving that you don't need money, much time, or the know-how to travel solo and have an incredibly rewarding experience!
Traveling doesn't necessarily have to mean taking a trip around the world and Instagramming along the way. It means exploring a new place, meeting new people, learning new things, and growing and developing as an individual. You can explore new parts of your city without spending a penny and have just as meaningful an experience as someone doing the same thing on the other side of the world.
Moreover, it is important to take a trip SOLO. Just you. (…& your many personalities). While you can still learn when you’re with others, in my personal experience I've found it more difficult to engage with the people and environment around me if I’m already engaging with my friends (we’re kind of a mess when all together) Moreover, (I’ll get into this a bit more below) when traveling solo you are forced to rely on no one but yourself which strengthens your independence, self-reliance, and confidence. (Which are pretty key for a positive life)!
Still not convinced? Check out the 11 Things AboutLife I Learned from Iran
So, whether it is taking on your city or someone else’s city on the other side of the world, here are 8 reasons why you absolutely should take a solo trip—somewhere—this summer.
1. Personal Growth | I strongly believe that traveling by yourself helps you learn things about yourself that you couldn't learn otherwise. Take a trip, take a journal, and understand yourself through your connections with new people, lands, cultures, and ideas.
2. Independence | nothing develops your independence more than when you have no choice but to call all the shots yourself. Particularly difficult (yet rewarding) for the indecisive like myself.
3. Greater Understanding | of different cultures, people, environments, and ideas or values. The more you see, the more you learn, the more you understand and appreciate difference and diversity. From my travels I've really come to appreciate the beauty in human beings.
|Photo taken in Rabat, Morocco|
5. It’s the Perfect Time | I always picture traveling as this massive time-consuming ordeal that needs months planning in advance. But the reality, I have learned, is that you can get the most out of the experience when it is the opposite: spontaneous and off the (tour guide) books.
6. Meet New People | new friends! Hooray! (Also much easier to do if you’re by yourself). Talk to everyone and anyone you come across (to the extent of your comfort, of course!)
|Photo from my last trip to Iran|
8. It’s Refreshing | traveling is SUCH a great way to take a break, get away, refresh, and recharge. Especially effective if you've hit a plateau in your blog, work, studying, or life. Spending a month (or even a weekend) taking on a new environment will get you refreshed & ready to work with a new-found inspiration. (This is also why the “I’m too busy” excuse doesn't work—being too busy to take a break is more reason to take one!)
Update: Convinced to travel solo this summer? I just stumbled upon Rae's guide on How to Travel Alone that is beautifully well-written and worth the read. (& a logical next step from this post!)
Also I suppose this a good time to officially announce that I will be traveling to Germany and Iran this summer! *squeals* I’ll only be staying in Germany for a week but this is my first time and I’m really rather thrilled to visit family! Then I’ll fly over to Iran where I will be completing research for my BA Thesis (& more family) (and of course taking more Iranian Streetstyle, so stay tuned!).
I can’t wait to take you all with me~
Where are you headed?